Finance Director / Assistant City Manager
Background:My family and I have lived in the Roosevelt area since December of 2010. My wife, Nicole, and I have a family of 4 boys and 1 girl. Nicole and I both grew up in Cache Valley. I enjoyed much of my growing up years working on the family Z6 Ranch.
Favorite Part of the Job:I enjoy working with a team of great people. I also enjoy problem solving and analysis.
Favorite Part about Roosevelt City:It is a great place to raise a family where the “home town feel” still exists. It seems that no matter where you go in the city you always seem to hear a common “hello” from someone you know.
Related Work Experience:Accounting Supervisory roles with JBS USA; Senior Management & Project Management with Dalbo Holding Inc, R Chapman Construction, & Elite Equipment Rental
Education:MBA from Utah State University - Jon M. Huntsman School of Business; Bachelors in Accounting and Economics from Utah State University; Advanced Welding Certificate from Bridgerland Applied Technology College
Interests: Snow Skiing, Skeet Shooting, Soccer, Archery, Camping, Farming, Welding, Carpentry
Role with Roosevelt City:
Title: Assistant City Manager / Finance Director / Safety Co-Director / HR Co-Director
To provide Administration, Finance, Human Resources, and Safety services throughout Roosevelt City’s organization and operation. This position requires a high level of professionalism and responsibility accompanied with advanced understanding of accounting, operations, and the organization in its entirety.
Works under the broad policy guidance and direction of the City Manager. Works under the direction of majority council vote in the absence of the City Manager.
Provides general supervision to Treasurer, Accounts Payable Clerk, and part-time assistant(s). Assists the City Manager in providing general supervision for all departments including but not limited to Parks (Parks, Cemetery, Aquatic Center, Golf Course), Water Source, Public Works (Streets, Sewer, and Water), Building and Inspection, Police (Police and Animal Control), and Fire.
This position requires the ability to understand the functions of all city operations, work on interdepartmental issues, and provide direction, input and information.
Assistant City Manager:
- Assisting the City Manager in his responsibilities and acting City Manager in his absence; please see the City Manager’s responsibilities for details and essential functions.
- Performs a variety of professional, administrative and managerial duties related to planning, directing, organizing, and controlling the financial operations of the city, including, governmental accounting, internal auditing, payroll, treasury, bond administration, and administration, budget preparation and support, financial analysis and reporting.
- Responsible at the senior management level for the accuracy and legal performance of the City's financial transactions; manages governmental accounting functions; works with City Manager to prepare the city-wide budget; coordinates budget development process with various city department heads; forecasts revenues and expenditures; provides the city manager, mayor, council and department heads with information and recommendations for efficient fiscal administration; recommends rules, regulations, policies and procedures and implements the same upon approval; implementation of budget amendments throughout the year.
- Performs Controller related duties such as booking entries, reconciling accounts, financial reporting, quarterly reports, monthly reports, budget reports, and bank reconciliations.
- Directs personnel and delegates assignments; reviews performance and makes decisions affecting job retention, advancement and discipline; participates in the recruitment and selection of department staff; determines work procedures, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations; issues written and oral instructions; assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures; monitors staff customer service efforts and generally directs staff activities to achieve effective customer relations.
- Responsible for payroll duties in processing biweekly payroll by reviewing all payroll entry, processing and filing appropriate tax reports and payments, and all other benefit payment processes associated.
- Performs and assists in overseeing reconciliation of financial systems regarding budget amendments and the establishment of corresponding budget controls; provides programmatic and operational consultation regarding the City's revenue accounting, auditing and forecasting, and grants acquisition; ensures accuracy and accountability in financial transactions initiated from all departments in the City.
- Manages purchasing and requisition system; monitors revenues and expenditures and apprises the City Manager of revenue shortfalls, expenditure overruns and non-compliance situations; accounts for the proper administration of purchase orders, requisitions, vouchers and contracts; monitors the status and disposition of fixed assets and property.
- Works with the City Manager to oversee city-wide procurement practices; monitors proper competitive pricing and bidding for contracts, services, and purchases; assists in overseeing the ongoing education and training of city staff related to procurement policy, practices and procedures.
- Meets with staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
- Works with outside financial advisor to obtain bond financing of major capital projects; provides timely, accurate and legally compliant revenue accounting, and forecasting; ensure timely and accurate consultation to departments and City Manager regarding such data; manages the cash and cash position of the City.
- Working with auditors from a variety of entities and responding to their requests and inquiries.
- Planning, organizing and initiating monthly safety meetings; chairperson of the safety committee.
- Ensure quarterly inspections of facilities; receive reports of incidents and work with the insurance company on each incident.
- Directing monthly safety committee meetings with consistent follow-up at each meeting.
- Responsible to have monthly safety meetings and to promote the safety and well-being of the organization and its employees.
Human Resources Co-Director:
- Processing new hire and rehire paperwork along with systems entry and review.
- Manage employee benefit enrollment and ensuring proper deductions/benefits are placed in payroll processes.
- Responsible for processing terminations and working with the City Manager and Department Heads/ Supervisors through employee disciplinary actions.
- Performs related duties as required or needed.